- 2 hour small group tour
- Conservation Projects in action
- Yealands Wine and Sealords mussels
Buy This Tour as a Gift Voucher.
Tour info in brief
|Pricing:||Adult: $68 (16+ years)
Child: $34 (5 – 15 years)
|Location:||1 Wellington Street, Picton|
|Briefing:||30 mins before departure|
No Seasickness Guarantee
About the Tour
Cruise with your Skipper-Guide to Kaipupu Sanctuary to enjoy a short walk and see beautiful regenerating native bush, native bird species and the best view in the lower sounds.
Then cruise over to a marine reserve and on the way get up close to seabirds species, seals. penguins while enjoying a glass of famous Pinot Gris from Yealands award-winning vineyard and some mussels from Sealords both sustainably produced local products.
What to expect
Kaipupu Point Tour – Wine and Wildlife Tour
Stunning wildlife and scenery, world renowned wines and delicious local mussels.
Now enjoy all three on our popular two hour Marlborough Sounds cruise which features our ‘no sea sickness guarantee’
Got a ferry to catch?
This short tour has been designed with our partners at the Interislander Ferry to coordinate perfectly with their ferry departures – so this tour is perfect if you have a few spare hours in Piton before you ferry leaves.
- Depart Picton waterfront and learn about the Marlborough Sounds from our highly trained Guide/Skipper.
- Take a short stroll to the lookout on Kaipupu Wildlife Sanctuary and see the best view in the Southern Queen Charlotte Sound.
- See many species of land birds and learn how a community has developed this wildlife reserve in conjunction with the Department of Conservation.
- Back on-board for a glass of Yealands wine complemented by Sealord’s mussels and soak in the ambiance of the majestic Marlborough Sounds.
- Use our ID cards and binoculars to search for and learn about marine wildlife on a cruise to Marlborough’s oldest marine reserve.
- Take up-close photos with NZ Fur Seals, Little Blue Penguins, Sea Birds, feed tame fish and much more…
About Kaipupu Point
Kaipupu Wildlife Sanctuary was created in 2005 to protect and enhance our unique New Zealand wildlife.
The Sanctuary is situated at the head of Picton harbour, Queen Charlotte Sound.
As it is a ‘mainland island sanctuary’ that is separated from the mainland by a predator proof fence, the only access for the public is via water.
You’ll have stunning views out to the Sounds, back to Picton and experience forest which in some places has original virgin growth.
With no predators, bird watching is often a very magical experience on the Sanctuary.
What you can See:
- Little Blue Penguins
- Fluttering Shearwaters
- White Fronted Turn
- Spotted Shag, Pied Shag, Little Black Shag
- Australasian Gannets
- New Zealand Fur Seals
- Grey Warbler
- New Zealand Wood Pigeon
- New Zealand Robin
- Rowi Kiwi
We depart from Picton Waterfront which has a carpark 200 metres from the E-Ko shop 🙂
- Bookings essential
- Tour requires a minimum of 4 to operate
- Tour may be cancelled due to weather or safety at our discretion / Full refund
- 24 Hours notice of customers cancellation required for refund
What to bring
- Footwear you can walk in
- Light jacket if overcast
Where are we?
We are located conveniently on Picton’s main waterfront with car parking close by and only a 1-minute walk from the main street.
Just look for the Dusky Dolphin outside our shop.
Before your tour starts feel free to take a seat inside the shop or outside on our sun drenched deck and enjoy the stunning views.
Customers can also get online with our free WiFi, and purchase a tea or coffee to enjoy on the deck.
You will Never Miss your Ferry
Our tour schedules are integrated with the Interislander – so there is no chance that you’ll miss your ferry.
What people are saying about us
“Worth it at twice the price”
Trip advisor – 5 STar *****
Worth it at twice the price. Outstanding job. Showed us all there was to see due to expert knowledge of the wildlife and their locations
“Totally awesome Eco Tour”
Facebook –5 Star *****
Totally awesome Eco tour, i so loved seeing all the amazing bird life It was truly the best day ever 🙂 ohh and to see the Hectors too was just icing on the cake. Only sorry that I couldn’t stay longer but i,ll be back 🙂 Bless