E-Ko = Ethical Kaitiakitangi Organisation
What we do to stand apart:
- We support the Tiaki Promise from Tourism New Zealand: TIAKI PROMISE
- We operate as Kaitiakitanga (Guardians of the Sounds) for our local environment so we can all share in a sustainable future.
- Enviro-Gold, Qualmark Award. The highest quality assurance in New Zealand,
- We provide real passion for each tour with Staff who love what they do and why they do it:-). Our catch slogan " Adventures for your Soul " encompasses our objective. Each person departs with a deeper appreciation of our local environment and our positive sustainable goals locally and New Zeland wide.
- This is to strengthen your OWN environmental connection so you have the energy to do the right thing environmentally for a sustainable future where ever you live. Our Amazing Wildlife Encounters and Stunning Scenery empower your Soul ( Mana), we touch your soul so you too will strive for a sustainable future for OUR Planet.
How Does your money help local Conservation?
- Part of every Tour FEE goes back into local conservation.
- Department of Conservation ($1 ) Fee for each person we take to any of the 5 Predator FREE Sanctuary Islands.
- We have supported Project NEST Egg for 10 years with FREE transport to the islands. This project is growing young ROWI kiwi on Motuara Island for 90 days to 1 year .
- We are the FIRST World Cetacean Alliance National Co-ordinator, Training Center and Partner. $1 form each Dolphin and Whale tour goes back to support Mammal sustainability.
- We support the Guardians of the Sounds (GOS) who actively pursue a Sustainable Future for the Marlborough Sounds. Environmental Education is a large focus for this local Kitiakitanga Group and donations or new members are always sought.
- To Help local conservation: GOS SUPPORT
- We want to see tourism help our entire community so work with many local sustainable businesses to ensure you get the best. We are part of a Sustainable Busines Group focused on quality tourism.
- We work closely with the Department of Conservation and have provided them with the oldest Marine Mammal Data set in New Zealand to help make sustainable decisions for the management of our Taonga. (treasured species )
- We consult with local IWI and respect our historical connections.
- All our Wildlife interactions are based on respectful encounters.
What are our KEY Features!
- Cruise Calm Sheltered Water of Queen Charlotte Sound
- Exclusive No Seasickness Guarantee
- Experienced Captains with Fun and informative commentary
- Personalised Small Fully Guided Group Tour (1-15 ratio)
- FREE Binoculars for you and Species ID Cards
- Amazing Photo opportunities so close you only need a phone
- 1000 Hectors of Predator FREE Island Sanctuary’s (kiwi residents )
- FREE High-Quality Wildlife Photo in Shop
- Bottlenose, Dusky, Hectors Dolphins and Orca
- Family Friendly Boats with Children Toys and education
- Complimentary Tea, Coffee, Hot Chocolate and Biscuits
- Complimentary Local Wine and Local Mussels on PM Tours
- Travel with E-Ko and Support local Conservation efforts
What we can offer!
- We offer Small Group numbers to ensure a Quality experience for all customers.
- High staff to customer ratio for Excellent customer service. 1:15 Maximum.
- Extensive staff training with a focus on customer service, fantastic Guides
- All staff have a genuine passion for the environment and wildlife.
- Very experienced captains who focus on quality customer Experiences.
- Custom Tours possible to cater for any requirement locally.
- Educational Tours for schools and Universities.
- Specialized Birding Charters for individuals or Groups.
- Small group options for cruise ships with Special Tours
- Group and special interest charters or Land Tours, Air Options
World Cetacean Alliance - Connected to 140 Organizations Worldwide
Through cooperation, the Partners of the World Cetacean Alliance aim to conserve and protect cetaceans and their habitats. By phasing out captivity and seeking to protect cetaceans in the world’s oceans, seas and rivers, we are a global community of people who care for cetaceans, study and respect them.
How we care for Local Marine Mammals ;
We operate our tours focused on the Dolphin or Whales health and well being. We are the only Dual certified Marine Mammal operator in New Zeland.
We were the First SMART Operator under the Department of Conservation and are also the First Dolphin Swimming operator in New Zeland to be World Cetacean Alliance certified as a Responsible Whale and Dolphin operator. This involves extensive training for Captains and Guides.
We also are the Oceania Regional representative for the World Cetaceena Alliance and now can offer their Training courses.
What we do ;
- E-ko uses special methods to swim with Dolphins, so they chose to come to see you.
- Special ladders that protect propellers so no mammals can reach them or humans.
- We move 300m ahead of animals so they have a choice to interact or not.
- We actively work with the regional and national bodies to push for protected areas.
- We work with stakeholders to protect Dolphin and Whales for a sustainable future.
- We reduce or effort on the animals with seasonal variations to reduce their stress.
- We actively promote WCA and Project Jonah.
Our Sustainable Business Group
At Yealands Family Wines, we are very proud to be the first winery in the world to be certified as carboNZeroCertTM from inception. We believe that sustainability has no endpoint; it is an on-going and evolving process of continual improvement. Therefore, trialling new initiatives remains central to our philosophy.
For the people of SeaLord, sustainability is a journey.
We work hard to do the right thing and we always look for ways to do things better. We believe in meeting the needs of today, without damaging the needs of our Grandchildren's children.
Not only is it good for the environment, it is good for business!
E-Ko Sustainable Projects
Totaras for Totaranui
The project has a long-term goal of replanting native trees to the Marlborough Sounds. Our forefathers removed 1 million cubic feet of podocarps from the area now is the right time to replant the sounds for a sustainable future.
This is a practical project which will enable us to offer Environmental Education to our younger generation by involving them in the removal of pest species and restoration of the local native forest.
Involve me and I understand
Harry the Humpback
The Guardians of the Sounds has been approached by Jean-Michel Cousteau’s World Cetacean Alliance, the world’s largest marine conservation partnership and the global voice for whales, dolphins and porpoises, to set up a whale heritage site in Tory Channel. Harry is stage 1 on that development which is to be 5 years in the process putting Marlborough Sounds on the International Cetacean Map.
Development of the historical story and Perano Whale Station site is a Proposal being developed by Guardians of the Sounds . Parties involved at this stage include Picton Heritage and Whaling Museum, Marlborough District Council, Te Papa Museum, Destination Marlborough, Kiwi Rail, Department of Conservation, Tourism New Zealand, Cuddeons Engineering, ITM Picton, Altex Coatings, Human Dynamo of Wellington, the ex-whalers and the local community.