Our Environmental Responsibility to Picton and the Marlborough Sounds.
Here at E-Ko Tours we are proud to promote environmental responsibility at the company, community and global levels.
We feel very fortunate to operate in such a pristine corner of the world, and as such we believe it is our duty to take an active role in protecting the Marlborough sounds and all of its wildlife through conservation projects, public outreach and education.
We feel very fortunate to operate in such a pristine corner of the world.
As a company we are continually striving to improve our green businesses practices by reducing our energy and water consumption, reducing and responsibly managing waste through recycling and composting initiatives and using our business as a platform for community education and conservation efforts locally, nationally and internationally.
Please do not hesitate to offer any suggestions as we are always seeking to optimise sustainability. Here are just a few of the steps we are taking to be a greener company.
What we do to help:
- Sustainabily is key
- Water efficient appliances (toilet, shower etc.)
- Maintaining our New Zealand Tourism Enviro Gold standard
- Boat hoses fitted with stoppers to conserve water
- Water use awareness included in staff training
- Support development of Allports Island bird sanctuary
- Sponsor Project Nest Egg
- Close collaboration with the Department of Conservation
- Host the 0800 WILDLIFE hotline for public to report marine mammal sightings
- Use recycled products e.g. toilet paper
- Fund raise for other conservation organizations e.g. project Jonah
- Educate public on the marine mammal protection act
- Offer large discounts to local school and community groups
- All staff qualified marine mammal medics
- Sponsor PHD students and scientists
- Energy efficient office
- Use eco-friendly cleaning products
- Use rechargeable batteries
- Encourage employees to walk or bike to work others carpool
- Wetsuits hand washed in cold water
- Recycle everything we can
- Remove any plastics found in the ocean
- Use reusable cups
- Do not support or sell bottled water
- Digital payments and receipt options to minimize paper
- Ecofriendly merchandise e.g. reusable cups and shopping bags
- Staff encouraged to do volunteer work for DOC
- Support and donate resources to local conservation efforts